Does your wardrobe just exhaust you? Do you feel like you open your closet door and the thought of pulling an outfit together is overwhelming? I do. I am gradually (seems like years) simplifying my wardrobe. I decided to take down to the bare minimums and build off of it. My thoughts of having a capsule wardrobe brings me calm. The idea of having a workhorse of a wardrobe that is minimal and works fluidly just makes me happy. I have decided to start with the suggest 10 piece basics and work from there. After having my 10 pieces chosen, I will then strategically add to my wardrobe by shopping from what I already have. I will also shop from my own current clothing supply to create my 10 piece wardrobe
Let’s get started!
- Tailored Blazer. The classic tailored blazer is a piece every woman needs in her wardrobe. It can be paired with a beautiful dress or skirt and white blouse, or you can wear it with a great pair of jeans and a white t-shirt. All you need…some great accessories. Buy the best blazer you can afford. Save up for one that may be pricey – it will be a piece you will have for years. Cost per wear! Keep those three words in your mind as you purchase your basics.
- Black pants. Some women may not be comfortable wearing a pair of leather pants and that’s perfectly fine. Just make sure you have a great pair of black skinny jeans at least. Again, cost per wear – buy the best you can afford
- White shirt. A great button up. My preference is a white shirt which is more oversized and men’s style. Not fitted. You can wear it casual or dressy. Wear it with a great blazer or tie it at the waist. Wear it as a jacket with a neutral or colored tank. There are so many options. It is a great piece that will be comfortable and look fabulously classy.
- Chambray shirt. A great denim shirt is a must. You will be able to wear this when any piece in your capsule wardrobe. You can also wear this versatile piece as a jacket with a great t-shirt and black jeans. Or pair it with a great skirt with a more dressy-casual feel.
- Black skirt. This is a piece worth investing in. Purchase the best you can afford. A great blazer and your button up shirt – perfection! How about layer your chambray shirt with a great tee and you are set for dinner with the girls!
- Black dress. The LBD. Little black dress. This piece can be tailored, ultra-feminine, anything you desire. You will want to make sure it is a piece you can wear any of your jackets. Again, staying with the cost per wear idea, purchase the best you can afford.
- Basic Tees. A great white tee is a basic you can spend a little less because you will want to replace them every 6-12 months. You want this shirt to be the brightest white which is why you should replace them often. Stripes are always classic. Stick with neutrals, black and white, navy and white.
- Everyday dress. Another great staple. Black and white. This is a piece you should semi-invest in. Don’t buy the cheapest but it is not necessary to buy the most expensive. This can also be a dress. A striped dress can also be worn as a shirt. Don’t be afraid to use a piece and have it do double duty. This is an item which can be fun. Try a floral or keep it a simple neutral.
- Skinny jeans. It does not matter what size you are 2, 12, 18. Does not matter. Every woman looks great in skinny jeans. Skinny on the bottom, large on the top – think tunic! This looks great on every woman. Possibly your striped dress over a great pair of jeans.
- Jean jacket. Your jean jacket can be cropped, boyfriend style, blazer style. It doesn’t matter. Just have one!
This is simple and you do not have to even think. If you do not have pieces, take your time building your basics. Each piece must absolutely be what you love. Something will enjoy wearing. Be creative with building your outfits. You can possibly get 20 outfits or more out of the 10 piece capsule wardrobe. No thinking each morning when you get up, shower, and dress.
Here are some resources to check out Sugar Mamma’s video – this is a great resource to give you an idea of what a capsule wardrobe should look like. Here is another video by YouTuber Mademoiselle which helps with giving you great ideas for your capsule wardrobe. I love Jennifer Scott from the Daily Connoisseur. She has many videos explaining the 10-item wardrobe and she goes through them each season. She has a lot of information and wisdom to share. Lastly, this video is for you gals that love the casual life or maybe you are a mama. I hope these resources help you build your capsule wardrobe. The above 10 pieces are my capsule wardrobe plan, but each of us has different lives and we have our own tastes. The above list is just a guide. However, sticking with the classics will be simple and more versatile than following trends. Your trends are your accessories. Let’s do this!
Have a gorgeous day friend.