Accessories. Frosting for your wardrobe. The creme de la creme of a completely polished look. Using accessories can seem daunting and overwhelming but having the appropriate capsule of accessories and a capsule that works fluidly will help you become an expert. Trust me on this.
Our accessories include:
- Handbags (yes, please)
Let’s look at each type of accessory and list what is needed and how to use each one.
Here is a list of handbags every girl should own along with travel bags.
- Tote. Please buy quality. This item will last for years if you purchase the best you can afford. If you are a gal that loves changing bags regularly, then I probably wouldn’t spend too much money on this item. However, if we are going for simplicity, it is not only about how the bag looks but also the quality which means your cost per wear is inexpensive.
- Everyday bag. This will be different for each of us. I personally like the crossbody bag, but as a mom, this type of bag probably would not be sufficient. Think about how you use your bag every day and that will help determine what type you should include in your capsule.
- Clutch. This should be one that can go from every day to a wedding. A nice metallic clutch will go with everything. Nude is another color that will match every outfit. Again, quality purchase.
- Crossbody. If you travel, this will be a life saver. This particular handbag will be quite handy while touring, checking out the sites, shopping, and any other activities you decide to indulge in.
- Travel Overnight bag. This one should be quality. Save your money to get something that will last you for years. This will be a great piece as a carry-on for a quick trip. You can also use it as a carry-on and check your suitcase for a much longer stay. I like matching so purchase the bags for makeup and toiletries to match. It’s just easy on the eyes and I’m OCD.
- Black Pump
- Nude Pump
- Black Flat
- Nude Flat
- Animal print flat
- Black sandal heels or wedge
- Nude sandal heels or wedge
- Loafers for travel and shopping
- Booties – dress
- Booties – casual
- Workout shoes
- Converse, Vans or Sperry’s
- Flat sandal (nude, black, metallic)
- Knee boots (be brave and wear over the knee – I think they will be my next purchase)
- Snow boots
The list of shoes needed will depend on your weather. If you live in mostly rainy weather, I would suggest a great pair of rain boots. If you live in a warmer climate, you may not need boots at all. This list will adjust depending on your needs.
- Winter Scarf to match your coats.
- Several long scarves (to match your capsule wardrobe)
- Several square scarves (to match your capsule wardrobe)
- Large square scarf (to be worn as a swimsuit coverup or a skirt)
Again, these will vary depending on your weather. Silk scarves are great, comfortable, and breathable. They are not heavy, therefore minimizing getting hot in the summer. Have fun. This is a place where you can express your style. Get something wild and crazy if you like. Just have fun.
- Winter hats (2-3 to match coats)
- Beach hat
- Something just for fun
- Brown or Cognac belt
- Animal print belt
- Black belt
- Stretch belt
- Use your scarves as belts
I am not going to spend a lot of time here because I would like to do a separate post on building a jewelry capsule. There is a lot that goes into creating a jewelry capsule and too much information to put in this particular post.
Take the time to find what metals look good with your skin tone, however, just because you should probably be wearing gold, doesn’t mean you can’t break the rules and wear silver. Be a rebel.
Knowing what works with your skin tone, however, will again give you that polished look and will not take away from the overall appearance of your outfit.
I also suggest you look at your capsule wardrobe and decide what you want your overall look to be and create a jewelry capsule with pieces that are versatile. Just as you would wear a scarf as a belt, why not wear a long necklace as a belt with a great dress. Don’t limit your pieces to their “suggested” use. Be creative. Also, you’ll want your pieces to work together so you can layer, double, change enhancers, etc. Then throw in a gorgeous statement piece which can stand alone. We’ll be talking more about your jewelry soon.
Have fun building this capsule. Take your time. Only buy or keep what you absolutely love. It is better to have just a few pieces than to have a drawer or closet full of pieces you never use.
Let me know your favorite accessories. Do you have any tips on how to use an accessory in a way other than it’s suggested use? Comment below.